Osobowość typu D a negatywne i pozytywne następstwa ekspozycji na traumę u młodzieży
Rocznik: 2019 Tom: 25 Numer: 1
Among the factors determining the occurrence of negative and positive consequences of exposure to trauma, personality characteristics are mentioned. The aim of the study was to establish a relationship between type D personality and posttraumatic stress disorder symptoms (PTSD) and posttraumatic growth (PTG) in people after traumatic experiences. The study involved 280 young people aged 17-28, of whom 88.2% declared experiencing at least one traumatic event in their lives. This group included 128 men (51.8%) and 119 women (48.2%). The mean age of the respondents was 20.15 (SD=2.87). The majority of respondents (59.9%) were university students, the remaining 40.1% were high school students. Four measurement tools were used in the research, i.e. The Life Events Checklist – LEC- 5, Posttraumatic Checklist for DSM-5 – PCL-5, Posttraumatic Growth Inventory and Type D scale (DS-14). Both dimensions of type D personality, i.e .negative affectivity and social inhibition are positively associated with PTSD – the strongest with negative changes in the cognitive and emotional sphere. However, they are not associated with posttraumatic growth. Negative affectivity turned out to be a predictor of all 4 symptoms included in PTSD. To the greatest extent, it allows explaining negative changes in the cognitive and emotional sphere, in the smallest – intrusion. Reducing the severity of negative affectivity and social inhibition may reduce the level of PTSD symptoms in people exposed to the trauma.